was built on the most level spot on Cleopatra Hill. In 1900, Jerome was
the fourth-largest city in the Arizona Territory. It was Arizona's most
famous copper town.
1894, after a severe fire, the mine, which had been producing an astonishing
3 million pounds of copper per month, could no longer be worked by underground
methods and a change to open pit mining took place.
the mines closed, Jerome's population of 15,000 dwindled to just a few hardy
town has since been reborn as a thriving mecca for artists, retirees and